The Italian wedding cake recipe contain different recipes for different types of Italian wedding cakes in shape, size, flavor, color, icing, etc.
Italian Wedding Cakes are available in different flavors, sizes and shapes. These cakes are prepared in traditional manner. The traditional Italian wedding cake is made in white color and has coconut filling and cheese on the top.
Now the preparation style of the Italian wedding cake is changing with the modern times. There are variations in the wedding cake according to the couple’s choice in the flavors used and decorations. The Italian Wedding cakes are usually multi layered with a traditional topper of a couple in forms of a bride and groom.
A traditional Italian wedding cake is usually a big one layer cake or a number of layers of cakes placed on different levels. Usually, more than three cakes are placed on different levels; the smallest of the cakes is placed at the top.
The arrangement is not necessarily the typical vertical one; it can be of any pattern. The traditional wedding cakes in Italy are mostly sponge cakes with rich cream filling and layers of whipped cream. Some are also based on fruits, a layer of short bread covered with lots of fruits arranged beautifully making the wedding cake look and taste awesome.
More About The Italian Wedding Cake Recipe
The Italian wedding cakes are also pastries filled with cream and made according to the likes of the bride and the groom. Flowers, fruits and cream are used to decorate the traditional Italian wedding cakes. The traditional cakes look different from the other cakes in the way they are arranged.
They are usually prepared as separate cakes which are arranged on different levels, which give ample scope for creative arrangements according to the theme of the wedding. This is the unique thing about traditional wedding cakes in Italy.
Most of the cakes are topped with pecans or walnuts. This is yet another distinct feature of traditional Italian wedding cake recipes. The icing on the cake is mostly cream cheese and glazed pecans add the authentic feel and flavor of traditional Italian wedding cakes.
These Italian cakes are moist and melt in your mouth, which makes the special say of your wedding all the more special and memorable. Your guest would always remember and cherish the taste of Italian wedding cake.
Here is a recipe of Italian Wedding Cake:
Take a look at the ingredients:
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of margarine
- 4 cups of white sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- Half teaspoon of almond extract
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 10 egg whites
- 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 packs of cheese
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
The method of baking the cake is as follows:
- Mix the buttermilk, salt and baking soda in a bowl. After mixing, keep the mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening, margarine and sugar in such a fashion that the mixture becomes fluffy. In another bowl, beat the egg yolk and add vanilla and almond extract. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites.
- In a big bowl add the flour to butter milk mixture. Followed by egg white, egg yolk and creamy sugar mixture. Mix all the mixtures and add pineapple, coconut and pecans in the end.
- Pour the batter evenly in three greased baking pans. Bake the cake for 35 minutes in preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Let the layers of cake cool. Once the cake cools, you need to combine the three layers of cake with a frosting.
- For frosting, mix butter, cheese and sugar with vanilla extract. Blend it well so that it can be used to combine the three cake layers.
- The cake is ready for serving.